Updated June 29, 2021 - 11:19 pm
A 22-year-old man police have accused of fatally stabbing his ex-girlfriend’s father last week in northeast Las Vegas was granted bail on Tuesday morning.
Carlos Bernardo Cabrera, 22, faces charges of murder, kidnapping, coercion, burglary and two counts of sexual assault, all with a deadly weapon enhancement, according to court records. He was arrested in connection with the fatal stabbing of 53-year-old Carlos Varela, of Las Vegas, on Wednesday at a mobile home near Christy Lane and Lake Mead Boulevard, according to the Metropolitan Police Department.
The Clark County coroner’s office said Tuesday that Varela died of multiple stab wounds. His death was ruled a homicide.
In a court hearing Tuesday, public defender Sarah Hawkins argued for Cabrera to receive a $25,000 bail and electronic monitoring. Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Pro Tem William Jansen granted the 22-year-old a $500,000 bail with house arrest.
Hawkins declined to comment on the case.
Officers were called to the mobile home shortly after 3 a.m. on June 23. When police arrived, a woman came outside and told officers that her ex-boyfriend had broken into the home and stabbed her father, according to an arrest report from the Metropolitan Police Department released Tuesday.
Cabrera told police he stood on a chair and opened the home’s kitchen windows to get inside, but the woman discovered him when the floors creaked in the hallway. Then Cabrera said he rushed to the father’s bedroom and stabbed him multiple times.
When he heard police cars outside, he told the woman “you are not going to see the light of day,” the report states. The woman managed to convince him that if she went out the front door to distract the police, he could sneak out the back door.
Cabrera was arrested behind the home as he tried to escape. Varela was pronounced dead at the scene.
Cabrera remained in the Clark County Detention Center on Tuesday, jail records show. A court hearing is scheduled for July 27.