80°F
weather icon Clear

Fremont Street Experience names new CEO

Updated September 16, 2020 - 2:57 pm

Fremont Street Experience has found its new chief executive.

The entertainment district in the heart of downtown Las Vegas announced Wednesday that entertainment industry veteran Andrew Simon will take over as president and CEO on Sept. 28. Simon, who brings three decades of work in hospitality, sports and entertainment, will replace outgoing president and CEO Patrick Hughes.

“In the 25 years since its inception, Fremont Street Experience has worked to revitalize Downtown Las Vegas and we are confident that Andrew has the vision and depth of experience to lead our talented team into our next 25 years of growth and innovation,” said Mark Brandenburg, Fremont Street Experience board chairman.

Simon has been CEO of sports at AXS TV since 2007 and previously held the title of vice president of marking and sales at Cox Communications in Las Vegas.

“I am honored to join Fremont Street Experience as the new president and chief executive officer,” Simon says. “There is an unprecedented level of excitement at Fremont Street Experience with the $32 million upgrade in Viva Vision, the upcoming opening of Circa Resort & Casino and the milestone celebration of our 25th anniversary this December. I look forward to working with my exceptional team and our partners.”

He created AXS TV’s Fights sports brand and “made history with the first nationally broadcast live sporting event from Fremont Street Experience,” a release said.

Simon previously held executive positions in Cox’s business services and hospitality network division and at NXTV and Deloitte. He hails from New York but began working in Las Vegas in 1992 as a blackjack dealer at The Mirage, the release said.

Hughes, Simon’s soon-to-be predecessor, announced earlier this summer he was stepping down effective Oct. 31 to spend more time with his family and “evaluate the next phase of his career,” according to a statement at the time from the six-block entertainment district. Hughes has held his CEO position for more than four years.

Contact Mike Shoro at mshoro@reviewjournal.com or 702-387-5290. Follow @mike_shoro on Twitter.

THE LATEST
Trump backs proposed deal to keep TikTok operating in US

President Donald Trump said Saturday he’s given his “blessing” to a proposed deal that would see the popular video-sharing app TikTok partner with Oracle and Walmart and form a U.S. company.