Updated October 6, 2020 - 7:53 pm
Wynn Las Vegas will launch increased security measures this week.
The series of security measures at Wynn Las Vegas and Encore will be in place Friday through Sunday evenings and include additional screenings and security personnel, according to a statement late Monday.
The changes come shortly after the Metropolitan Police Department reported an uptick in violence in the tourist corridor, which included a fight at Encore that garnered attention on social media.
One video of the fight showed people in a resort hallway swinging at other guests and casino security as a crowd watched. It had more than 66,000 views on YouTube as of Monday night. The company has no record of injuries from the confrontation.
After the event, a spokesman said the company would increase its investment in its security workforce and procedures as well as room rates.
Through the increased security measures, guests who enter Wynn Las Vegas and Encore will be scanned for metal, and their hand-carried bags will be screened. The company’s previous security measures included scanning hotel room keys at elevator entrances to make sure only registered guests were admitted to the hotel towers.
The new program went through a “successful pilot program” a few weeks ago, according to the statement.
The company has increased its number of uniformed Metro police officers and Wynn security officers, which include former federal and local law enforcement officers, former FBI agents, former counterterrorism operators and embassy security guards and former members from all branches of the U.S. military including special operations.
The updated security program includes crisis and tactical response, a K-9 team, mobile and stationary officers and surveillance, with additional departments the company did not disclose.
Room rates listed on Hotels.com show the company has boosted its starting prices in recent weeks. Wynn Las Vegas had weekend room rates as low as $197 a night in August. A stay at the the Strip property this Saturday starts at $399.
“Wynn Las Vegas is known for offering the best guest experiences,” Marilyn Spiegel, president of Wynn Las Vegas, said in the Monday statement. “These changes to our security program are devised to ensure our guests can continue to enjoy those experiences in a relaxed and safe atmosphere.”
At least one other Las Vegas casino company has also turned its attention to security measures in recent months.
On Tuesday, MGM Resorts International spokesman Brian Ahern said the company has a highly trained security team that monitors occupancy and evaluates security staffing levels weekly.
“We work very closely with Metro as they work diligently to reduce crime both on the Strip and off,” Ahern said. “We don’t believe that recent high-profile incidents are reflective of Las Vegas and the safety of our properties on the Strip.”
During Park MGM’s reopening last week, MGM President and CEO Bill Hornbuckle said its Las Vegas properties are still safe destinations.
“Las Vegas has always been an exciting and fun place to come to. It’s incumbent upon us to keep it that way,” he said. “We believe, ultimately and fundamentally, Las Vegas will return to where it (was).”
Spokespeople for Caesars Entertainment Inc., Las Vegas Sands Corp., Boyd Gaming Corp., and Station Casinos did not respond to requests for comments on security measures.
The Review-Journal is owned by the family of Las Vegas Sands Corp. Chairman and CEO Sheldon Adelson.