83°F
weather icon Mostly Cloudy

Las Vegas firefighters snuff early morning blaze in lighting store

Las Vegas firefighters extinguished a large early morning fire Tuesday at Statewide Lighting Center on East Sahara Avenue near Maryland Parkway.

Crews responded at 3:43 a.m. to find heavy smoke inside the building. The cause of the two-alarm fire at 804 E. Sahara Ave. is under investigation.

“When we got here it appeared there were was a dumpster and some pallets burning inside the building,” said Las Vegas Fire Department spokesman Tim Szymanski. “The smoke was very heavy. They could see an orange glow toward the rear of the building but they couldn’t get to it.”

Szymanski said the building is a very large retail structure and warehouse that sells lighting fixtures. Roughly 15 employees work at the business.

“The employees said the last time they were here they locked up the building at 4 p.m. yesterday and everything appeared to be fine,” he said.

He said as firefighters battled the blaze, the fire broke through the roof of the structure and it continued to burn for nearly three hours.

No injuries were reported. Several lanes of East Sahara were closed before the street was fully reopened just after 9 a.m.

“The owner told us there are homeless people in the area but he’s very good about securing his building and they were never able to get inside the building,” Szymanski said. “He feels confident it has nothing to do with that.”

Several employees and a manager of the building stood outside the building as it burned. They declined to comment.

Contact Glenn Puit by email at gpuit@reviewjournal.com. Follow @GlennatRJ on Twitter.

THE LATEST
Meet the Review-Journal newsroom’s 2022 summer interns

For the first time since 2019, before the start of the pandemic, interns are working alongside staff, in person, at the newsroom’s offices on Bonanza Road.